Monday, September 22, 2014

Sourdough, Whole Grain and Seed Crackers



I think I have posted this recipe before but I will again, only this time the crackers are round.  Round so I can "bottle" them in wide-mouth pint jars and save in storage for what I call "fast food".   There are plenty of cracker and chip products you can have in storage that you can buy at grocery stores but none are made with quality ingredients and fermented flour as you can get with home made sourdough. 


My husband just said that those crackers look like sausage patties. Really?  Ok, maybe they do but they are seeded, sourdough delicious crackers about 14 to a wide-mouth pint jar.  There is a piece of duct tape on the top that covers a small hole.  I put the hole there and pumped out the air with a little hand pump that I got from the store from the Zip Lock company.  A couple years ago, Zip Lock had a zip seal bag with a small hole in it and covered with tape and this hand operated pump.  I bought it, tried it out and used up all the bags.  I was not very impressed with the bags, but the pump works well so I kept it and then got the idea to use it with regular jars and lids.   I don't have a picture of the hand pump.  Maybe I can add that later.
 I don't know if this product is still sold.  

Cracker Recipe
1/2 cup recently fed natural yeast starter
1/2 cup whey, kefir, yogurt or milk
1/2 cup soft butter or coconut oil
2 cups whole wheat flour,or spelt or a mixture of whole grain and unbleached organic white
1 tsp. Real Salt
Seeds:  suggestion....1 tsp. chia, 1 tsp. flax, 2 TBS raw sunflower 
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda added after fermentation. 

Mix all ingredients except the baking soda, and knead together so all flour is incorporated.  Oil a bowl for the dough and cover it with oiled plastic wrap.  Set the dough in the fridge for 1 or 2 days. 
Baking day, take dough out to warm up.  Flour a clean surface and roll the dough out.  Sprinkle the the baking soda on the floured surface and knead it for  2 minutes.  Dough will poof  up a bit.  Let it rest, then flour the surface again and roll the dough out with a rolling pin to about 1/8 inch thickness.  
Sprinkle the surface with more seeds like sesame, then cut cracker shapes square or round. Pierce the surface with a fork, 4-5 times per cracker.  Remove with a spatula to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake in hot oven  400 degrees for 7-10 minutes.  Watch for too much browning.  Every oven works differently.  You may need to reduce the heat of your oven or reduce the time.  I usually bake this recipe in 3 batches. Makes a lot of crackers. Good with raw milk cheddar cheese and black raspberry jam.   

1 comment:

  1. How long will the crackers stay good in the pumped jars? I have a pump thing for doing that. I also have some Foodsaver jars that I imagine accomplish the same purpose and the Foodsaver attachment for using on canning jars. I really enjoyed your class at Real Foods a few weeks ago. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete