Friday, May 13, 2016

Crushing Beans for Quicker Cooking and for Pulses


     I have written so much about pulses for your blood types in previous posts as being sooo good for your health, but people tell me they just don't have a way of crushing the beans to make them smaller. 

     For successful Pulse cooking, the beans need to be crushed so they cook up with the grains at the same time in the same pot and without a handy grain mill with steel burrs to do this task, like I have, it can be a challenge.

      Recently I came across a product that bartenders use to crush ice for cocktails called a "Lewis Bag".  They are made of heavy duty cotton canvas sewn tightly with a string to close it with.   I bought 4 of them online to try out. One of them is pictured above. 

     I just now crushed 2 cups of black-eyed peas or beans and it took about 3-4 minutes.  My husband got this orange hammer for me to try.  It has little steel pellets in the head of it that creates more force when pounding and it worked great!   Both the bag and the hammer worked really well.   The bag cost me $7.49  each and the hammer...don't know.   Would have to check it out at a hardware store.  

I believe I have found a solution for crushing beans that is simple and inexpensive and yet effective. Crushed beans means quicker soaking and cooking time!     Google  "Lewis bag".    

No comments:

Post a Comment