Wednesday, July 20, 2011

User Friendly Yogurts


I have 2 more new "pets"; Matsoni and Viili. Each different bacterial cultures that make milk into a yogurt...So easy to work with. Usually yogurt is fussy about temperature and the need to be left alone and still. But these two can be active at any reasonable temp, the warmer the better and they can be stirred, juggled and shook.

I have a pint of each. I eat what I want of each one, Viili is a little thicker and slight taste difference than Matsoni. When one of the pint jars is down by half, I add more raw milk about a cup and shake or stir it up with remaining yogurt and leave on counter at room temp. for about a day with loose lid. After 18 -24 hrs. I taste for sour; sweet means that the lactose, milk sugar is still too dominate and it needs more time. When sour is just right, I put it in the fridge to slow down action and then eat from that jar. I don't even have to use other jars. This is so easy and tasty. I will sell starters for these at $5.00. 801-765-4645

1 comment:

  1. Update! These yogurts went bad and I didn't know why until recently. I was using raw milk and the yogurt cultures do not "get along" with the natural lacto-bacillus bacteria that is all ready in raw milk. You have to heat the milk up past 120 degrees to kill off the lacto-bacillus first then when cool, add to the yogurt. I heat raw milk up to about 145-160 degrees for 15 minutes to kill the lacto-bacillus but not so hot as to "denature" or destroy the other good qualities of raw milk.
    Home pasteurization is suggested to hold a food or milk at 145 degrees for 30 minutes.
    Commerical pasteurization holds milk at 161 degrees for 30 minutes.
    Ultra pasteurization "flashes" milk through tubes at 285 degrees which takes 1 second.
    I do not recommend purchasing dairy products that have been Ultra- pasteurized.

    ReplyDelete