Thursday, January 20, 2011

Jelled Cranberry and Apple Salad


This recipe is my favorite fall/winter salad. I put one together at Thanksgiving and thereafter about every two weeks. It serves the purpose of supplying my fresh fruit and vegetable servings during the cold time when I make and eat mostly soups and stews. For some reason, I hate getting my hands wet too much when it gets cold like I have to do when making leafy vegetable salads in the warmer months. I can make this as sweet or tart as I want and it is a pretty color. It really is a good compliment to the winter time hot soups and stews.

1 packet of plain gelatin sprinkled over
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 package of cranberries (after the holidays fresh ones are scarce so I buy frozen)
1 carrot peeled
1 tart apple
1 stalk celery
1/4 part of a sweet onion
1 grapefruit
some fresh blueberries if possible
handful of pecans
1 small can crushed pineapple ( reserve the juice from this can....use canned cause fresh pineapple doesn't let the gelatin set up)
1 cup pineapple juice to boil
1/2 cup naturally cultured sour cream ( I use my own filtered goat milk cheese)
1-2 tsp sweetleaf stevia or 1/3 cup agave or honey to sweeten
1 or 2 drops grapefruit essential oil

You can chop all the ingredients or use a food processor but I use my blender. I put the 1 cup pineapple juice in the blender and then add the fruits and vegetables a few at a time and blend.
I like some chewing texture so I don't blend too much, then I strain the mixture, put the juice right back into the blender and process the rest of the fruits and veggies. When all is done, ( I do save out the celery and chop that) I measure the 1 cup of juice and boil that to mix with the softened gelatin to dissolve. There is usually another cup of juice left over and that I love to drink as is. Mix everything together and place in cold storage to set up, in a flat bowl like a 9x9 glass baking dish or something. It keeps for many days in the fridge. It's great to take with lunch or have with dinner and sometimes I eat it with my egg breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment