Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pickled Eggs with Fermented Pickle Brine


      I save my fermented vegetable pickle brine and use it as salad dressing, but I accidentally discovered a new use for it;  preserving boiled eggs.  
     Last August, I had some ugly ( fresh eggs don't peel very nicely)  peeled eggs that I couldn't immediately use and in desperation, I dropped them into a quart jar of reserved pickle juice or brine.  This jar got pushed to the back of the fridge and out-of-sight, means out-of-mind so I forgot them until a couple days before Easter, (eight months later) when I was cleaning out the fridge.  
     It was a little scary trying to decide what to do with them.  I was of a mind to just throw them out but.....out of curiosity, I took an egg out of the brine and it felt ok, I smelled it and it smelled ok, so I took a bite and was surprised.  It tasted good, really good.  I had successfully pickled eggs!
     I quick took pictures and then added them to other peeled, hard boiled eggs after Easter for a most delightful egg salad that my husband loved for lunch for several days....served with sourdough bread.
     I chop some onion, some celery, some green bell pepper and mixed in some mayonnaise, powdered mustard, Real Salt and pepper.  The pickled flavor of some of the eggs was really nice.  Oh, I used a little of the fermented pickle juice too.   

No comments:

Post a Comment