Sunday, August 10, 2014

"Brick" Custard; A tasty use for failed Sourdough bread.

        
     Not every loaf of sourdough bread will be perfect.  I've finally accepted that, so I freeze the ones that don't rise well( I call them "bricks"). 

  I took one of my "bricks" out and let it thaw and sawed off a few slices to eat with honey, spread then coconut oil then raw milk cheddar cheese.  Even"bricks" taste good with this combination. 

  "Bricks" do have value and I advise folks not to throw them away because there are ways to still eat fermented grain breads that do not rise.  This recipe is one of them. I crumbled up the rest of the loaf and let dry out and created this wonderful custard variation; recipe for "Brick" Custard. 

Recipe:
1 cup dried  sourdough bread crumbs
2 cups raw, whole milk
2 pastured eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey or agave) 
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp Real Salt 
1/4 tsp  baking soda

Optional ingredients   1/3 cup raisins and maybe some sliced almonds and cinnamon on the top.  

Beat eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and mix in the bread crumbs and let soak for 2 hours.
Add raisins also if using. Stir. 

Pour into greased baking dish that can fit into another baking dish with water.   Finish top with almonds and cinnamon and bake 50-60 minutes at 325.   Test center with tooth pick to see if it set up.    

No comments:

Post a Comment