Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Sourdough Muffins and Silicon Cups


I've posted this recipe before but it is worth posting again and this time I have picture of muffins with these colorful silicon muffin cups, regular size.  I have a set of 18 of these cups and have used them for over a year now and I'm very happy with them.  I don't have to grease them before dropping dough in them and the baked muffins come out perfectly.  Once filled, I place them in my old metal muffin tins so they keep form but my guess is that they would keep their form without my old tins.  Love the colors too.  Now, if giving away muffins, I still use the papers but for our use, silicon is the way to go. 

My recipe is for 18 muffins and my husband goes through 2 of these a day.  Doesn't cause constipation in him and he is satisfied.  I eat one per batch because they are a source of weight gain for me.  

Sourdough basic Muffin recipe:

Day before baking: Mix together...

2 eggs 1/2 cup sourdough start  ( you fed your starter yesterday)
1/2 cup water or kefir or milk or whey or yogurt
1/3 cup olive oil or soft butter or ghee or coconut oil
1/2 cup honey or agave or combination (but hold until next day before baking)

1 cup whole spelt or wheat flour or sprouted flour
1/3 cup  millet flour'
1/3 cup  oat flour
1/3 cup  other flour, white or corn or brown rice
1 tsp. Real Salt
1/2 tsp.  baking soda (hold until next day before baking)
optional:   some raisins, nuts, chia seeds or flax seeds and some flavoring like vanilla or lemon essential oil.  If using essential oils save until right before baking as they can kill the yeasts prematurely.  I love the flavor of lemon, orange, cinnamon and ocatea.  Not all in the same batch...individual batches.  

Mix together all ingredients except the honey and the baking soda.  You will add those right before baking.  Cover bowl and allow to ferment overnight.  Next day, add the honey and baking soda....dough will poof up a bit and then fill those lovely silicon cups 2/3 full.   Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.   
While hot, I brush on some coconut oil.  When cooled down, I store them in the silicon cups in a large plastic lidded container in the fridge until they are gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment