Monday, November 16, 2015

Squash Pie in Graham Cracker Crust

I loved the squash pie that was a dessert choice at the True Food Restaurant in Newport Beach California when there for my niece's wedding reception end of October.   I did a google search and they posted the recipe and I tried it out...loved it!   Here is my version of it.  

I am also processing my own home grown meaty- green pumpkins and their unusual hybrids.  I cut a piece out of a pumpkin or squash and cook up just that piece and then taste it.  If it is sweet and good flavored, I do the work to clean out the rest of it, cook the flesh, blend it up and then freeze the puree  in quart or pint plastic containers for pies, cakes and soups.  So far have worked 3 of them.   One has no taste whatsoever and it was discarded but the other two were wonderful.

1 Pie crust;
1 package graham crackers, crushed...pulverized.  (gallon size zip lock bag and rolling pin).
2 TBS  almond butter or tahini
2 TBS  maple syrup
1 TBS  butter or virgin coconut oil
1 TBS water
Mix all ingredients and press into a pie dish

Filling;
3 cups squash or pumpkin puree
2 eggs  (their recipe didn't have eggs, my addition)
1/2 cup natural or high mineral sugar
1/2  tsp. Real Salt
1/2  tsp.  ground ginger
1 tsp.  cinnamon
1/4  tsp. cloves
2 TBS  brandy but I used my own kombucha
3/4 cup coconut milk or cream
2  TBS  arrowroot powder

Blend ingredients well and carefully pour into lined pie dish.  Heat oven to 400 or 375 if your oven runs hot.  Bake 45- 60 minutes.   If the top of the crust is turning dark too fast, make a "foil ring" that fits the perimeter of your round pie to cover just the crust and leave center open to heat. Serve with real whipping cream  (no fake stuff here ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment